Coding games can seem like a huge task, especially if you’re new to programming. However, with the right tools and tutorials, it can be an engaging and rewarding experience. In this guide, we focus on how to code games in GameMaker, a popular game development engine known for its ease of use and accessibility to beginners. We’ve compiled a list of the best tutorials that can help you kickstart your journey into game development with GameMaker.
Table of contents
What is GameMaker?
GameMaker, developed by YoYo Games, is a powerful game development engine with a focus on 2D games. It is well-known for its simplicity and user-friendly approach, making it a popular choice among beginner game developers. It uses a proprietary scripting language called GameMaker Language (GML), which is designed to be easy to learn for those new to coding.
Why Learn GameMaker?
Learning how to code games in GameMaker has numerous benefits, especially for those venturing into the world of game development for the first time.
- Easy to use: GameMaker has a user-friendly interface that is easy to navigate. The built-in code editor, with its auto-completion function, can assist newcomers. Also, its drag-and-drop functionality allows users without coding knowledge to make basic games.
- Proprietary language – GML: GML makes the coding process simpler. It is easy to understand and ideal for those being introduced to programming languages.
- Complete solution: GameMaker is a comprehensive tool. It offers a complete package to design, code and test your game, all in one place.
- Versatile: Beyond just 2D, GameMaker also supports the development of 3D games. This provides a space for developers to expand their skills.
- In-demand skill: Knowing how to code games can be a strong addition to your resume and may open up work opportunities in the competitive job market of the gaming industry.
Moreover, by mastering GameMaker, you can start creating your very own games and perhaps embark on a fruitful career in game development.
Making the Most of Your GameMaker Experience
As you begin your journey in GameMaker, here are some tips that can enhance your learning experience and simplify your game development process.
- Start with Simple Projects: Begin with small, manageable projects. You can gradually work your way up to complex ones as your skills improve.
- Experiment: Don’t be afraid to try new things. The best way to learn is by doing, so tinker with every feature and setting to get a hands-on understanding.
- Learn from Others: There is a large community of GameMaker users. Learn from them, participate in discussions, and ask questions when you’re stuck.
- Consistency is Key: Game development is a marathon, not a sprint. Practice coding regularly, even if it’s just for a few minutes each day.
Remember, the goal is not just to finish your project, but also to learn and grow as a developer. So embrace every challenge that comes your way and don’t forget to enjoy your coding journey.
Getting Started with GameMaker
Learning GameMaker is more than just mastering the syntax of GML; it’s about thinking like a game developer. Here are some steps to jumpstart your learning journey:
- Understand the Basics: Start by familiarizing yourself with the interface of GameMaker. Explore its features and functionalities, and get a feel for its workflow.
- Learn GML: Once you’re comfortable with the interface, begin learning GML. Master the basic concepts first, like variables, operators, loops, and functions, before diving into more complex topics.
- Create Simple Games: Put your newfound knowledge into practice. Build simple games to reinforce your understanding and to highlight areas where you may need to improve.
- Dabble in Advanced Projects: Once you have a good grasp of the basics, challenge yourself with more advanced projects. Importance should be given to both, the coding and the game design aspects.
Learning to code games with GameMaker on your own can seem overwhelming, but with the right resources, it becomes an enriching and enjoyable experience. This is where Zenva’s game development catalog steps in. With expert instructors to guide you every step of the way, our comprehensive and beginner-friendly courses are designed to help you learn game development at your own pace, from the comfort of your home. Whether you’re a complete newbie or a programmer looking to learn a new skill, our courses can help you achieve your game development goals.
We, at Zenva, are committed to providing high-quality content and beginner-friendly tutorials that make learning game development feel less like an impossible task and more like an exciting journey. So why wait? Embark on your game development journey with us today!
Navigating the world of game development with GameMaker is easier thanks to a range of helpful learning resources. Let’s dive into some of them that can provide invaluable support in your journey!
All Game Development Courses – Zenva Academy
Zenva Academy’s game development courses provide a diverse selection of topics, covering various coding languages like Python and C++, along with game development platforms like Godot, Unity, and Unreal Engine. They also offer courses on machine learning and data analysis. Here’s what these courses provide:
- Content catered for various levels of difficulty.
- Project-based learning to improve practical skills.
- Learn at your own pace with their subscription-based model.
Game Design Academy – Zenva Academy
The Game Design Academy by Zenva Academy presents a comprehensive curriculum that covers gamuts of game design, including game loops, level design, and storytelling. The program highlights are:
- Project-based learning, quizzes, and completion certificates.
- Flexible learning options for both beginners and experienced individuals.
- Opportunity to learn from qualified instructors and join the community of successful learners.
The GameMaker Manual serves as a comprehensive guide on various aspects of using GameMaker software. It provides:
- Well-organized sections covering specific topics for easy referencing.
- Tutorials and examples to get users started on creating games.
The collection of GameMaker tutorials provides in-depth guides on how to make games using GameMaker. They cover topics ranging from creating arcade space shooters, making action-adventure games, to implementing platformer movements. Additionally, there are tutorials on advanced topics and popular tutorials on Unity and sprite manipulation in GameMaker.
GameMaker Language (GML) Guide
The GameMaker Language (GML) Section of the GameMaker manual provides an exhaustive overview and reference for understanding and using GML. It details how GML can be used to create games alongside GML Visual.
GameMaker vs Unity
This detailed comparison article on GameMaker vs Unity on GameDev Academy gives prospective game developers a well-rounded understanding of the strengths and weaknesses of these two popular game engines, helping them make informed decisions based on their project requirements and skill levels.
With these resources at your fingertips, the journey becomes exciting and fulfilling. As you explore these, keep in mind that the journey of learning game development is a marathon and not a sprint. Enjoy the process and embrace every learning opportunity that comes your way!
How to Code Games in GameMaker – Wrap-Up
Embarking on your journey to learn game development with GameMaker is an exciting adventure. It might be challenging, but with the right mindset and resources, you’ll quickly see your skills and understanding grow. More importantly, remember to keep the process enjoyable and remain patient with your learning pace. Remember, it’s the experiences, challenges, and accomplishments along the way that will make your achievements truly worthwhile.
At Zenva, our mission is to provide learners like you with high-quality content that makes learning accessible and engaging. Our game development catalog offers a comprehensive collection of courses, ranging from beginner level to advanced. Whether you’re setting foot into game development for the first time or you’re a veteran developer eager to learn a new skill, we have you covered.
Craft your own video games, breathe life into your game ideas, and become part of the vibrant community of game developers. Your journey into the thrilling world of game development begins here, with Zenva. Let’s start learning together!
FINAL DAYS: Unlock coding courses in Unity, Godot, Unreal, Python and more.